Blackberry Ice CreamMay 15, 2008 at 10:22 pm | Posted in Fruit, Ice Cream | 10 Comments
Just about a month ago I thought I was back and life was going to slow down. I wasn’t exactly that lucky and life has continued to keep me busy. I have a few blog updates waiting in the wings, but you’ll have to wait my young jedi’s. Unlike some people *cough* April *cough* I don’t puke out my blog posts all at once.
Even though my google reader has officially stopped counting how many posts I still need to check out (Ya that’s right all I know is that it’s “1000+”) I’ve seen enough of the ice cream craze to motivate my bum to make some ice cream. I love making ice creams and sorbets. There are three main reasons
1. They’re fun and I’m in love with my ice cream maker
2. Ice cream is yummy
3. I don’t feel like I have to eat it all at once because unlike some sweets it actually freezes remarkably well :P
I was really craving black raspberry ice cream, but my local Trader Joe’s failed me the last week and there were no black raspberries to be found. It was already 8:30pm and I still hadn’t been home so the thought of searching all the grocery stores between where I was and home was just not my idea of a good time. One f my favorite things about black raspberry ice cream is it’s pretty color so I figured I would settle for blackberry ice cream. And before you say to yourself “Aren’t blackberries the same as black raspberries?” I’ll answer it for you, no, they’re not. Google tells me so. I don’t think I’ve ever had blackberry ice cream and even though it was a darker color it was still so delicious. Puddles snuck some while I was taking pictures and in less than 30 seconds she had gobbled down my three tiny scoops. Lucky for me there was more to go around!
I have quite a few ice cream books. I really want the Ice Cream Ireland one, but because I’m in the stupid US I can’t get it without paying like a bajillion dollars in shipping if I can even find somewhere to buy it from. Grumble Seriously though, their blog is amazing if you like ice cream. Everything I’ve made from their blog is delish! This recipe came from a random cookbook I picked up on the Border’s sale racks but it’s fab and there are lots of great recipes. Even better is the fact that a lot of the recipes have instructions to make the ice cream by hand without an ice cream maker.
PS neener neener CB I can make ice cream and yooouuu can’t … if you move to Boston I’ll share wink wink nudge nudge
Blackberry Ice Cream – The Ice Cream Book by: Joanna Farrow and Sara Lewis
5 cups blackberries
6 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp water
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- Put the blackberries in a pan, cover with the sugar and water. Put a lid on it and let it simmer for about 5 minutes until they’re soft.
- Dump (ya dump that’s what I said) everything from the pan into a sieve and put it though until you’re just left with the nasty stuff you don’t want.
- Put ice cream in ice cream maker for about 10-15 minutes until it starts to firm up then slowly pour the whipping cream in.
- Let the ice cream maker do it’s thing and enjoy!